Tuesday 9 July 2013

Assignment #8: Composition - Scale, Depth, Framing, Simplicity

In this assignment we went to The Key, a shopping area, and Queens Park, that is... a park, both places are in New Westminster.

For assignment number 8 we were to look out for various settings that involve 4 themes or composition rules.

Scale
Depth
Framing
and Simplicity.

Scale


Scale is used to compare things and truly show just how small or large something really is. Sometimes like a person standing next to a tree is a great example of how scale truly makes one realize that, hey that's a damn big tree.

In this photo I used scale to compare the large tree with the small, well plant I suppose.

I'm not very fond of the lack of difference between the two different plants, but you can still tell the small plant is there.

What I do like is that the leaves of the tree really stand out with the light blue sky behind it.

Depth


Scale is used to draw someone into the photo and usually it is used to draw attention to whatever is at the end of the depth.

What I dislike is that there isn't symmetry. But considering that I can't move around the flowers without some backlash, it's just something I'll have to live with.

I do however like that it leads the viewer to the fountain and/or the tree.

Framing


Framing is used to accentuate or bring focus upon a specific area, as in whatever is in the frame.

What I love about this photo is that the frame made by the trees is, to my knowledge, completely natural.

What I dislike is that there isn't exactly something to focus on.

Simplicity 


Simplicity is just that. A nice and simple photo without a lot to distract from the photo.

My attempt at simplicity was this bundle of roses.

What I love about this photo is how clean the flowers are.

5 comments:

  1. You're very good at photography, the photos you take are beautiful, the only thing I could think of was, I would have liked your picture for depth more if it was brighter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the picture you used for framing. It actually makes a shut-in like me want to go for a walk... almost. I agree with you on the 2nd photo; the asymmetry was the first thing I noticed, but it's not too bad. The first picture is adorable, and the last picture of the flower looks so clean that it could possibly be edible.. looks like it could be fondant on a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the photo you choose for depth.It really leads me to the fountain and the trees in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. It's always good to realize our limitations in not being able to physically move gardens and permanent benches. Doesn't mean you can't though with some editing ;) I'm drawn to your simplicity. It's something I would shoot myself. Shots of flowers are often stronger if you're able to keep the whole flower without cutting some of the pedals off. Or by zooming in to eliminate the background. Good colours and lighting on the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your framing and simplicity, so naturaly looking I just love it. The way you use the branches for framing is smart, feels like using it for my desktop picture in my computer at home. And the simplicity photo is a really fine one, its almost like profesionally taken, A great example for simplicity picture.

    ReplyDelete